Happy New Year everyone! This will be my last scheduled post for the blog, and so I thought that publishing it today and speaking about next steps for my thesis in the coming semester would only be appropriate.
In the next semester, I expect to pursue the ideas that excited me the most from the work done in this one, in addition to treading new psychophysical ground on my thesis. Those ideas that I intend to devote more attention to are:
- Training Wheels [service]
- Journey [app]
- Comedy Night [social innovation]
- Disability of New York [social innovation]
- Bluetooth Incontinence Implant [product]
- Mobile: a wheelchair attachment that uses functional electrical stimulation technology to externally stimulate the user’s legs for mobility [product]
- B.Chair: a wheelchair frame that can use spare bicycle parts [product]
- Stand Alone: a standing frame that paraplegics can use without assistance [product]
And these are the design principles that I hope to embody in my process and my work. I want to develop real, tangible products that will help improve the lives of people with spinal cord injuries, and of those living with disabilities, that alleviate hardship on both a psychological and physical level - design for psychophysical needs. I also want to explore the role of aesthetics and materiality as generative of identity and pride.
Thanks for reading everyone!